Ms Anna Sleptsova
Lecturer in Music (Classical Piano)
|Telephone:||(61 8) 9370 6441|
Overview of role
Anna Sleptsova is the Co-ordinator of Keyboard Studies at WAAPA and is recognised nationally and internationally as a Concert Performer and Master-Teacher.
“A brilliant pianist who balanced her sound well and underlined the drama in the music - a dazzling toccata!" - The Washington Post
Anna has appeared as a recitalist and soloist with orchestras and ensembles in Eastern Europe, Germany, Canada, UK, New Zealand, Australia, United States, France, and Japan. She is in frequent demand for masterclasses, conferences and competition adjudication throughout the world.
Anna arrived in Australia in 1995 from Ukraine, where she had a position as a Senior Lecturer at the Kiev State Conservatory, was doing a PhD research and had a busy concert schedule. She gained her BMUS with Highest Awards in Piano Performance, Chamber Music, Accompaniment and Piano Pedagogy from Kiev State Conservatory. In 1991 she gained her Masters Degree in Concert Piano Performance.
On arrival in Sydney, the National Academy of Music, the Sydney Conservatorium, the Sydney Opera and Ballet Orchestra engaged Anna in various capacities.
In 1997 Anna moved to Perth where she was teaching first at UWA (until 2001) and from 2007 at WAAPA.
As a soloist, chamber musician and accompanist Anna has made numerous live and studio recordings for ABC Classic FM. She also appeared on ABC TV, SBS Radio and 2MBS FM. Anna collaborated with several distinguished musicians, among them Roger Smalley, Simon Tedeschi, John Harding, Peter Tanfield, Paul Wright,Barbara Jane Gilby, Sophie Rowell, Esther van Stralen, Jane Edwards, Sally Anne Russell, Caitlin Hulcup, Michael Goldschlager, Joel Marangella, Rod McGrath, Allan Meyer, Daniel Kossov and many others.
“a convincing keyboard athlete with a capacity to generate enormous volumes of sound, negotiating hazardous terrain with ease, leaving little doubt of her skills in coping with ferociously demanding works.” - The West Australian
An active chamber musician, she regularly collaborates with her colleagues at WAAPA and UWA, performs with WASO musicians and groups, and as a soloist, with WASO and Faith Court Orchestra.
While teaching at UWA, she and a prominent composer and pianist Rogers Smalley, formed a duo-piano team and presented many concerts and live broadcasts with most demanding piano-duo repertoire.
In 2002 Anna released her first highly acclaimed CD of Russian music.
“A notable keyboard talent” (Headline)
“The very fine pianist who displays a notable keyboard talent in spirited performances. It is a program that is interestingly diverse and constantly attractive, and one that is realized in playing of sparkling brilliance to match the music.” - The Canberra Times
Anna is also an examiner for AMEB and enjoys a well-deserved reputation as one of the leading teachers of her generation, having produced a multitude of young prizewinners . She continues to be in frequent demand for guest -recitals , workshops and music conferences throughout the world.
Anna is a recipient of a coveted Churchill Fellowship in 2001 and she was a Yamaha Artist for number of years.
She is interested in research in the performance wellness of classical pianists.
- Dip (Diploma), Ukraine, 1984.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Wickham, D., Sleptsova, A., Gilling, G., (2014), Debussy Preludes. St Paul's Chamber Series, John Septimus Roe Anglican Community School.
- Blades, M., Sleptsova, A., (2013), Kreutzer Sonata and Marietta's Lied. Classical Tuesdays, WAAPA Music Auditorium.
- Sleptsova, A., (2013), Alban Berg Sonata for piano solo. Pictures At An Exhibition, Music Auditorium, WAAPA.
- Smith, AW., Sleptsova, A., McKay, K., (2013), Clarinet Recital. Classical Tuesdays, Music Auditorium, WAAPA.
- Sleptsova, A., McKay, L., (2013), The Composer and The Performer. Grove Classics 2013 Concert Series, The Grove Library, Perth.
- Sleptsova, A., Bradley, J., Van Tuinen, C., Sutherland, A., (2013), Bartok and Britten Sonata for Two Pianos and Percussion. St Nicolas Concert, Winthrop Hall, UWA .
- Sleptsova, A., Wickham, D., Frosi, S., (2012), Symphonic Dances. Symphonic Dances, Music Auditorium.
- Sleptsova, A., Blades, M., (2012), Beethoven - Kreutzer Sonata. The Glory of the Violin, Callaway Auditorium, UWA.
- Sleptsova, A., (2012), Western Australian Youth Orchestra - soloist. Verbitsky Conducts WAYO, Perth Concert Hall.
- Barcan, L., Sleptsova, A., (2012), La Belle Epoque. La Belle Epoque - Concert for La Fete de la Musique, Alliance Francaise de Perth.
- Sleptsova, A., (2011), Blackwood - Franz Liszt: Three apparitions. The Thirteenth Blackwood River Chamber Festival 29 April - 1 May 2011, St Paul's Anglican Church Bridgetown.
- Sleptsova, A., Yi, S., (2011), Blackwood - Claude Debussy: Sonata for Violin and Piano in G minor. The Thirteenth Blackwood River Chamber Festival 29 April - 1 May 2011, St Paul's Anglican Church Bridgetown.
- Sleptsova, A., Friedl, T., (2011), Music for Viola and Piano, Glinka, Vieuxtemps. Music for Viola and Piano: In Memorium Jurgen Geise, Perth Modern School - Music Auditorium.
- Sleptsova, A., Yi, S., Goldschlager, M., (2011), Blackwood - Johannes Brahms : Piano Trio No. 3 in G minor. The Thirteenth Blackwood River Chamber Festival 29 April - 1 May 2011, St Paul's Anglican Church Bridgetown.
- Sleptsova, A., Barcan, L., (2011), Linda Barcan and Anna Sleptsova in Performance. Spring Recital of Spanish music , Nedlands Uniting Church.
- Sleptsova, A., (2011), Guest Piano Recital at Mahidol University in Thailand. Anna Sleptsova Guest Piano Recital, Music auditorium of Mahidol University.
- Sleptsova, A., Goldschlager, M., Yi, S., (2011), Blackwood - Ludwig van Beethoven Piano trio. The Thirteenth Blackwood River Chamber Festival 29 April - 1 May 2011, St Paul's Anglican Church Bridgetown.
- Sleptsova, A., (2011), Solo recital: Selected works by Chopin. Grove Classics 26 June 2011 4.30pm, The Grove Library, Peppermint Grove.
- Sleptsova, A., Goldschlager, M., Yi, S., (2011), Blackwood - Anton Arensky Piano Trio No. 1 in D Minor. The Thirteenth Blackwood River Chamber Festival 29 April - 1 May 2011, St Paul's Anglican Church Bridgetown.
Research Student Supervision
- Master of Arts (Performing Arts), Uncovering The Unpublished Chamber Music Of George Frederick Boyle