Ms Sam Chester
|Telephone:||+61 8 6304 6630|
|Mobile:||0400 098 988|
Samantha is the Movement Co-ordinator for Acting and a movement lecturer for Acting and Performance Making.
- ACT1003 - Foundations of Movement for the Actor
- ACT1007 - Movement for the Actor
- ACT2002 - The Dynamic Actor
- ACT2006 - The Embodied Actor
- ACT3002 - The Creative Physical Actor
- PMA3010 - Devising Physical performance
Samantha Chester is a dance theatre maker, movement director and educator from Sydney. For the past 20 Years she has been working with the physical form, first as a contemporary dancer and then as a director and choreographer for theatre. She has worked with all the major theatre companies in Sydney and in 2010 she worked with the Wallabies Rugby Union Team as a movement consultant. She was the Head of Movement and Associate Director at the Actors Centre Australia from 2008 – 2015 and has taught and directed extensively at NIDA PACT, AFTRS and the University of Notre Dame Australia. She was awarded the Mike Walsh fellowship to travel to NY to train with the SITI Company in Viewpoints and Suzuki disciplines. In 2014 she completed a Churchill Fellowship travelling to Spain, France, UK and Belgium investigating devising techniques in dance and theatre. She is currently the Associate Artist for Critical Path, NSW’s Choreographic Centre. She is the co-founder of Queen Street Studio and currently Director of independent dance space ReadyMade Works.
- Associate Artist Critical Path Choreographic Centre, NSW
- Association of Theatre Movement Practitioners
- BKS Iyengar Yoga Association of Australia
Awards and recognition
University and National Teaching Awards
- 2010 - Australian Business Arts Foundation ABAF Encouragement Award
- 2004 - NSW Ministry for the Arts International Program
National and International Research Positions
- 2013 - Churchill Fellowship
- 2003 - Mike Walsh Fellowship
- 2004 - American Australian Association, Dame Joan Sutherland Cultural Fund
- GradDip (Graduate Diploma), The National Institute of Dramatic Art, 2003.
- GradDip (Graduate Diploma), University of Technology, Sydney, 2001.
- B (Bachelor Degree), University of Western Sydney, 1993.