Mr Fred Grigson
|Telephone:||(61 8) 9370 6833|
|Mobile:||0417 442 245|
A professional musician for the last 28 years and currently a fulltime lecturer in the Jazz and Contemporary programs at the West Australian Conservatorium of Music, Freddie is one of Australia s most versatile and in demand guitar players.
Over the years Freddie's guitar virtuosity has earned him a reputation as a melodic improviser of the first order, one whose own voice always rings true no matter what genre he is playing in. Fred has recorded and played with a host of impressive artists including Sammy Davis Jnr, Joe Pass, Herb Ellis, Billy Cobham, Mike Stern, Shirley Bassey, Jim McNeely, John Farnham, Olivia Newton-John, Don Burrows to name a few.
Fred has studied his craft through various outlets, which include colleges such as Berklee (Boston, USA), through to the Victorian College of the Arts in Melbourne. He has also singled out various jazz greats such as Jim Hall, John Abercrombie, Joe Diorio and John Schofield with whom he has collaborated with on a one to one basis. Fred has played as sideman for various artists and recently felt the need to establish his own style of playing and writing.
Freddie has a CD titled “Blue Zone” featuring some very talented young Western Australian musicians.
His playing is influenced by John Coltrane, Wes Montgomery, Jim Hall, John Schofield, Sonny Rollins, Bill Evans and Miles Davis.
- Certificate IV Workplace Tng & Assessment, TAFE WA, 2004 .
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- O'Halloran, T., Sandon, J., Grigson, F., Tarr, C., (2012), TLC and James Sandon. TLC Organ Trio with James Sandon, The Ellington Jazz Club.
- Paget, J., Grigson, F., (2011), Guitar Horizons - Musical Director. Guitar Horizons/Guitar Worlds, Music Auditorium, WA Academy of Performing Arts.
- Grigson, F., Cohen, T., Florisson, K., Evans, J., (2011), Freddie Grigson Quartet performance., Ellington Jazz Club.
- O'Halloran, T., Curnow, K., Grigson, F., (2011), Katherine Curnow - 26th May 2011., The Ellington Jazz Club, Perth.
- Grigson, F., Rogers, G., Richter, S., (2011), Jog. Guitar Horizons, Music Auditorium at Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts.
- O'Halloran, T., Grigson, F., Tarr, C., (2011), TLC Organ Trio - 2011 Jazz Club Sets., The Ellington Jazz Club, Perth.
- O'Halloran, T., Grigson, F., Tarr, C., (2011), 2011 Beaufort Street Festival., Beaufort Street (outdoor), Mount Lawley, Perth..
- Paget, J., Grigson, F., (2011), Guitar Concerts Curation. Guitar Horizons/Guitar Worlds, Music Auditorium, WAAPA.