Dr Matthew Styles
|Telephone:||(61 8) 9370 6065|
|Mobile:||041 626 0012|
Matthew has built a local and international career as a classical and jazz saxophonist studying at the Royal College of Music, Indiana University Bloomington (Jacobs School of Music) and the University of Minnesota, and teaching and performing in the UK, Europe, Asia and Australia.
He was the recipient of a coveted Churchill Fellowship in 2004, is a Yamaha Artist, is sponsored by Ligaphone (Paris) and was a featured artist at the 2002 Australasian Clarinet and Saxophone Conference in Sydney, the 2005 Melbourne International Festival of Single Reeds and has been invited as a recitalist and ensemble director to the Melbourne Saxophone Festival in August 2010. Matthew continues to build his local and international profile with ongoing performances and masterclasses in Singapore and Malaysia, and through performances with master saxophonists Jean-Pierre Baraglioli (2006) and Otis Murphy (2009).
Further, the Western Australian Symphony, Singapore Symphony and the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestras also utilise Matthew as their principal saxophonist. He has also appeared with such artists as Ben Folds, Diana Ross, Dave Weckl, Ben Lee, Paul Grabowsky, Kate Cebrano, Olivia Newton-John and The Manhattan Transfer. He performed in the 2006 Villa Cellimontana International Jazz Festival in Rome and in Singapore with the multi-WAMI Award winning band Hip Mo Toast. He is a guest soloist, (along with Dale Barlow) on Don Gomez s In the Moonlight and appears on numerous other jazz, classical and cross-genre albums. Scope, recently recorded by ABC fm s Jazztrack, is a band showcasing a unique blend of classical, jazz, latin and African music and is yet another avenue through which Matthew expresses his leadership and musical versatility.
As a founding member of the unique woodwind quintet Arundo, Matthew plays soprano, alto and tenor saxes in this extremely challenging and rewarding ensemble and since 2004, Matthew has been working with organist Dominic Perissinotto to build a rare and much needed collection of works for saxophone and organ.
As one result of all of this experience and expertise, every year since 1997, Matthew has given World or Australian premiere performances of classical and cross-over works arranged or specifically composed for him in his capacity as a soloist.
Finally, with over 20 years experience teaching at the primary, secondary and tertiary levels, Matthew is establishing himself as a prominent figure in music education, being able to communicate musical meaning to musicians and music lovers of all ages and stages. Currently lecturing classical and contemporary at WAAPA (Edith Cowan University) Matthew has recently completed his doctorate at the University of Western Australia and specialises in the interpretation, pedagogy and performance of classical, jazz and multi-genre or cross-over works. Giving workshops, masterclasses and concerts at the school level is also a passion of Matthew, who is always keen to encourage music students.
- Bachelor of Music (Hons), The University of Western Australia .
- Doctor of Musical Arts, The University of Western Australia, 2008 .
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Styles, M., (2012), Muscular Dysfunction and The Saxophone Embouchure. World Saxophone Congress, 19, University of St. Andrews, Scotland.
- Styles, M., (2012), Muscular Dysfunction, The saxophone Embouchure: being all things to all music. Australian Society for Performing Arts Healthcare: Holistic Healthcare for Performing Artists, 15, University of Sydney.
- Styles, M., (2011), What?s in a Name? Is the term `Third Stream Music? truly representative of the music it is supposed to describe? Would the term `Jazzical? be just as appropriate?. Power of Music: Joint MSA / ICME Conference, 2011, 1-12, The University of Western Australia.
- Styles, M., (2012), Horizons 2. Boundaries, Astor Theatre, Mt lawley.
- Styles, M., (2012), Jazzwa Showcase. Jazzwa showcase, The Bakery.
- Styles, M., (2012), Mixt DUO. Mix't Duo, Octagon Theatre, UWA.
- Styles, M., (2012), Bernstein's Prelude Fugue and Riffs. Little Red Riding Hood, Dewan Filharmonik, Malaysia.
- Styles, M., (2012), Pipe Organ PLus. Beat, The Basilica of St Patrick, Fremantle.
- Styles, M., (2012), Australian Ballet's Romeo and Juliet with. Romeo and Juliet, Burswood Theatre, Perth.
- Styles, M., (2012), Latitude 1. Horizons, Astor Theatre, Mt. lawley.
- Styles, M., (2012), World Saxophone congress. 'Mixt', Byre Theatre, St. Andrew's, Scotland.
- Styles, M., (2012), Churchill Fellowship Recital. Churchill Fellowship Recital, St John's Anglican Church, Fremantle.
- Wickham, D., Styles, M., (2011), Recital with Dr Matthew Styles., Music Auditorium, WAAPA.
- Styles, M., Rogers, K., (2011), WASO: Kenny Rogers. Kenny Rogers, Lake Karrinyup Country Club.
- Styles, M., (2011), Belshazzar's Feast. WASO: A Night at the Proms Gala, Perth Concert Hall.
- Styles, M., Macdonald, G., Perkins, M., Abbey, N., (2011), Beijing Ninegates International Jazz Festival. Beijing Ninegates International Jazz Festival, National Library Concert Hall, Beijing.
- Styles, M., (2011), Pictures at an Exhibition. WASO Classics Series: Pictures at an Exhibition, Perth Concert Hall.
- Styles, M., Minchin, T., (2011), Tim Minchin vs WASO. Tim Minchin vs WASO, Kings Park.
- Styles, M., Moore, P., (2011), Kick. Kick, Music Auditorium, WAAPA.
- Styles, M., (2011), Bravo Broadway. Bravo Broadway, Dewan Filharminik, Malaysia.
- Styles, M., Pinto, A., (2011), Nocturnal. CASSWA Christmas Soiree 2011, Callaway Auditorium, University of Western Australia.
- Styles, M., (2010), WASO: Ravel's Bolero - Saxophone. Plan B Wealth Management Classics Series, Perth Concert Hall.
- Styles, M., Glover, L., Everall, P., Kircher, J., Miller, A., (2010), Selections from the Arts of Fugue. 10th Anniversary Season Pipe Organ Plus Concert: 2 - Concerto, St Patrick's Basilica, Fremantle.
- Styles, M., (2010), Malaysian Symphony Orchestra: Porgy and Bess, Rhapsody in Blue, An American in Paris - Saxophone. Bobby in Blue, Dewan Filharmonik Petronas, KL, Malaysia.
- Styles, M., (2010), Romeo and Juliet Suite No 2 - Saxophone. Morning Symphony Series, Perth Concert Hall.
- Styles, M., Pinto, A., (2010), Reeding the Room - Director. Reeding the room, Music Auditoirum WAAPA, ECU.
- Styles, M., (2010), WASO: Best of the West End - Saxophone. Best of the West End, Perth Concert Hall.
- Styles, M., Pinto, A., (2010), Crazy Logic. Chamber Jam, Ellington Jazz Club.
- Styles, M., Hoy, M., Tanner, P., Coughlin, M., Moncrieff, C., (2010), A tree, A Cloud: Robinson. Soft Soft Loud 2011: fused, Fremantle Arts Centre.
- Styles, M., Hoy, M., Tanner, P., Coughlin, M., Moncrieff, C., (2010), Fused with Victoria Newton. Music on the Terrace-Fused, Government House Ballroom, Perth.
- Styles, M., Hoy, M., Tanner, P., Coughlin, M., Moncrieff, C., (2010), Suite: Johannes Luebbers. Soft Soft Loud: fused, Fremantle Arts Centre.
- Styles, M., Hoy, M., Tanner, P., Coughlin, M., Moncrieff, C., (2010), Cheynes: Grandage. Soft Soft Loud 2011:fused, Fremantle Arts Centre.
- Styles, M., (2009), Rhapsody in Blue. Rhapsody in Blue, Perth Concert Hall.
- Styles, M., (2012), Assembled. assembled, Music Auditoirium, WAAPA.
- Styles, M., (2012), The saxophone showcase. Saxophone Showcase, Music Auditorium, waapa.
- Styles, M., Eastman, R., Eastman, M., (2011), Radioactive 2011. Radioactive 2011, Subiaco Arts Centre.